The key goals for SAMURAI are listed below. Each of the two
primary goals is a link to the specific measurements that will be made to
address that goal, and each has an Astro2010 science
white paper associated with it. This specific formulation of goals and the
required measurements also would achieve 7 of the 9 primary science goals,
still outstanding, of the proposed ARISE
mission that was recommended by the decadal survey in 2000.
Astrophysical Goal: Understand how supermassive
black holes (SMBHs)
generate ultra-relativistic jets and powerful gamma ray emission.
- How are ultra-relativistic jets generated by SMBHs?
- Where and how are high-energy gamma rays produced in
jets near SMBHs?
- How are ultra-relativistic jets confined and shaped
as they propagate away from SMBHs?
- Astro2010 AGN white paper
Cosmological goal: Constrain the nature of dark energy by making
the most accurate measurement of the Hubble constant.
- Measure distances to Active Galactic Nuclei
(AGNs) containing water megamasers.
- Estimate Hubble's Constant.
- Constrain the nature of dark energy.
- Astro2010 dark energy white paper
SAMURAI Science Team
Last modified on
Monday, 23-Mar-2009 21:25:26 MDT
Hosted by NRAO on behalf of the US VSOP-2 Science Team.